This site is optimized for Google Chrome and modern browsers. Please click here if you use Internet Explorer.

What is Mediation?

Mediation is a way for people to resolve disputes outside of court with the help of a neutral mediator. The mediator helps parties exchange information and proposals through negotiation. Mediation is private and the mediator can document a written agreement for the parties. For more information, see our Mediation Preparation page. The Franklin County Municipal Court's Local Rule for mediation and its policies and procedures are available online: Local Rule, Policies and Procedures.

How do I participate in mediation?

You may participate in mediation either in person, by phone, or online. Online dispute resolution is available for all City of Columbus Income Tax Cases, cases with a scheduled mediation date and time, and any dispute where the Dispute Resolution Department has invited parties to participate online.

What disputes may be mediated?

Almost any type of dispute can be mediated. If you have a dispute regarding custody, divorce, or juvenile issues, please contact the Franklin County Court of Common Pleas, Division of Domestic Relations and Juvenile Branch at 614-525-6640. If you are experiencing domestic violence or stalking, please call 614-645-7483 for the City Prosecutor, contact the domestic violence hotline at 614-224-4663, or visit:

Call for interpreter assistance 614-645-7455

Mediation Before A Lawsuit Is Filed

Free Mediation

Any civil dispute may be mediated before a lawsuit is filed except domestic or criminal issues.

  • Complete the forms below to request mediation.
Business-to-business and business-to-consumer dispute resolution. Neutral mediator, court notice and reminder calls, participate in-person, by phone, or by mobile device.  First request free; flexible scheduling, resolve without litigation.   $15 per mediation request, fee recoverable from respondent. 614-645-8611

Business Account Mediation

If you represent a business and want to resolve a dispute between another business or a consumer before filing a lawsuit.

How do I request mediation before a lawsuit is filed?

Mediation request forms are available for download below and pre-printed forms are available at the Small Claims Division Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. The office is located at 375 South High Street on the 16th floor.

Submit your completed Pre-File Mediation forms either in-person during business hours or via mail.

Once you submit your completed pre-lawsuit mediation request forms our office will mail each Respondent Letter you submit by ordinary mail. It is up to you to provide a good address. The mediation department does not keep any copies of the Respondent letter. You may make copies of any forms that you submit for your own records.

Complete and submit the Notification to Claimant if you want confirmation that your request has been received and processed.

Fillable Pre-File Mediation Request.pdf

Pre-Lawsuit Mediation Request

Instructions and Forms to Request Mediation before a lawsuit is filed.

Mediation During A Lawsuit

City of Columbus Income Tax Cases


Mediation Request for an Active Lawsuit

Complete a motion requesting mediation and fill-out the certificate of service and mail a copy to the court and the other party.